April 23, 2011

Jonah and Riley's Birthday (Part 1)

Matt tells me next year I can’t be so extravagant. I argue that the party is not extravagant; it’s detailed. “Fine,” he says, “It can’t be so detailed.” I nod my head full well knowing that my OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder), not to be confused with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), doesn’t understand this. So from now on, I refer to their first birthday party as the Birthday Extravaganza.

Four months ago, the planning began. I was inspired by the vintage toys of the Fifties: Sock monkeys, jacks, dominos, Slinkys.


Using the color scheme of the sock monkey, I fell in love with two fabrics. I discovered the wonder of Wonder Under and glued the fabrics together to make an envelope. I stitched two red buttons on the envelope and tied it up with red and white bakery twine. Tutorial can be found at Design Sponge.

I bought a sewing machine for $15 and when it broke I used my Mom’s to stitch a red-thread border on the card.




I took the same fabrics and made "his and hers" party hats.





I bought these wool balls in Christmas colors for our tree from HandbehgFELTS on Etsy. I loved them. So I bought them in these colors for the Birthday Extravaganza.

I ordered nine dozen of mini cupcakes from Sugar Shack (Chestnut and Perrin, Fresno) in the following flavors: Peanut Butter and Jelly, Red Velvet, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, Cookies N Cream, Snickers, Hot Fudge Sundae, and Vanilla. They were amazing. And the Sugar Shack people were amazing. I was adamant about colored sugar on Jonah and Riley’s standard-sized cupcakes because I imagined they could choke on sprinkles. But the nice lady assured me it would be fine. And it was.

I handmade paper flags as cupcake labels and adorned each with a button and thread.



I found these cute little cups for ice cream at Garnish and tied them up with the red and white bakery twine.


I found the reasonably-price vintage toys at Tin Toy Arcade for table decorations and favors.



I made chocolate bowls to hold animal crackers by dipping ballons in melted chocolate and then deflating them after the chocolate hardened.





I love my Cost Plus World Market jar-with-a-spout purchase for only $15. And do you see the lemons. Fancy. Worthy of a Birthday Extravaganza.

No comments:

Post a Comment